Sunday 24 June 2018

Book Review | The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles







Title: The Kissing Booth
Author:  Beth Reekles
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Rating: 5 Kitkats





Meet Elle Evans: pretty, popular - and never been kissed.

Meet Noah Flynn: badass, volatile - and a total player.

When Elle decides to run a kissing booth for the school carnival, she never imagines she'll sit in it – or that her first ever kiss would be with bad boy Noah.

From that moment, her life is turned upside down – but is this a romance destined for happiness or heartbreak?

(From Goodreads)



Disclaimer: A massive thank you to the publisher for sending this to me on a read-to-review basis. This does not affect my opinion of the book. It's my true opinion only.

First of all I just would like to say I have had this book since the year of 2013. That's five years ago! And now I feel so silly and embarrassed to the fact I have only just read this. All I can do is apologise. I literally just looked back into my video book hauls on YouTube, and found that it was in my May book haul. Feel free to watch the shame here.

Okay so this is the first and only book that I have read by this author. I do own a couple of her other books 'The Rolling Dice' and 'Out of Tune' (I have also owned these for a while, but I'm not going to get into that now...)

This book became a movie on Netflix which I watched a couple of times before I read the book. As I got obsessed with the movie, I decided to pick the book up.
Although the movie and the book are both similar and different, I liked both ways in which the story was done. If I am honest though, I do like the twist the Netflix movie did.

So as you all may know, I do love a good YA contemporary, and this book didn't disappoint. I actually feel ashamed I haven't read it sooner. It has everything you could want in a summer romance contemporary.

What I liked was that this book had a major focus on friendship and trust, and how when those things clash it is hard, and I liked how the characters managed to overcome it as their friendship was that powerful.

At times in the book I found myself smiling. Other times I found myself giggling. It is a book that fulfilled the happiness inside me.

Ellie was quite a likeable character. She was funny, strong and a very caring person. When faced at a crossroads, she did panic and make a few bad decisions, but she came out fighting in the end.

Lee is Ellie's best friend. He was quite quirky, and he knew just how to make Ellie smile. I liked that even in the dark times, he fought for the friendship to stay strong. He forgave a lot easier in the book compared to the movie. I guess that's another reason why I like the movie, as you can really see the trust factor showing. 

Noah is the hot swoony older brother. He is the brother who Ellie finds annoying for most of her life, but then slowly develops a crush for. 

Rachel is the girl who has a crush on Lee and who is a good friend to Ellie. I thought she was really nice and supportive to Ellie in times of need, and she was a very genuine person.

The chapters in this book have a normal length. I found myself to be flying through them.

If I had to be honest, I can't think of anything that I disliked about this novel.

My favourite part of the book was when Lee and Ellie's friendship had a little dip, and I liked how they found each other again. 

I liked how the book ended. It leaves us wondering what is going to happen. Will this happen or will this happen? Who knows? I hope Beth Reekles writes a sequel though. 

Overall I gave this book five out of five Kitkats. It was a really fun and cute Summer read, and I definitely recommend to all.



add to goodreads button

As always, thank you for reading. 

I hope you have enjoyed this review. 

  Keep smiling, keep reading & be happy! =)

~Katie~

No comments:

Post a Comment