Thursday 29 August 2013

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (Book & Movie)


Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher:
Margaret K. McElderry Books

Series: The Mortal Instruments (Book #1) 
Rating: 5/5 Stars




Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 
(From Goodreads)




My thoughts:

This is one of my own books. I bought this book in the hard cover box set.
I am surprised at myself that I didn't read this book until now.
I actually used to have a paperback version of this a fair few years ago. I don't know why I didn't read it then.
I'm super glad that I read it though. It's definitely a new favourite of mine.  


~Storyline~

The storyline I found was really gripping, and I fell in love with it immediately.
Shadowhunters, demons, romance, a hot guy, awesome characters and the truth being revealed. 
I love learning about the massive world contained in this book. I really wanted to be a part of it. 


~Cover~

I really like the cover to this book. It pretty much contains everything the story has inside. 
You have the shadowhunter and the runes on his body, and the buildings underneath.   
I really like it when books have covers that go with the book. 


~Synopsis~ 

When reading the synopsis, it's really interesting, full of mystery, and different. I knew I was going to like this story after reading the synopsis.


 ~Characters~

Clary - I really adored Clay's character. I didn't find her annoying, and I loved learning about her new life and the new discovery of it with her. I loved her relationship with Jace. They fit together like two pieces of a puzzle.
Jace -  Jace is sarcastic, moody, and caring all at once. He's everything I love in reading about guys. I loved reading about him.
Alec - Alec was humorous in how protective he is for Jace. His affections for Jace are cute.
Isabelle - Isabelle is a fantastic character. She is really kick-ass.
Simon - Simon is adorable. I love him so much.
Luke - Luke is like a cool Dad. I wish I could have him as mine, ha ha.
Valentine - What a bad-ass evil character. He's so needy and has such power in his words, and he knows it.
Magnus Bane - I love Magnus! He is just so cool. A glittery warlock? What more can you ask for? Ha ha.


~Structure~

There is a decent length of chapters, but it didn't bother me too much, and I didn't notice because I was too into the story that I flew through the pages. 
It's also told in second person. 


~Writing~

The writing is really gripping and easy to understand. I wasn't confused or lost at any point. It was also very descriptive, so you could picture everything easily. It was beautifully and well written. 
 

~Title relevance~

The title of this book is very relevant as they travel to the city of bones. 


~Beginning~

The beginning of the book had a fantastic start. I was absolutely hooked! 
 

~Ending~

The ending of the book ended on such a soft way with questions left unanswered. I wanted to know what was going to happen to certain characters, and what would happen next in the general storyline. 
 

~Rating & overall thoughts~

Overall I couldn't find anything wrong with this book. I loved it so much that I gave it a grand score of five out of five stars. It's a new favourite of mine, and I will definitely be continuing on with the series.

~Recommend?~

Obviously! Go get it now if you haven't read it. Go now!

Video review:


 

I hope you have enjoyed reading this review.

Happy reading =)

Goodreads-badge-add-plus 

No comments:

Post a Comment