Monday 2 September 2013

Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare



Title: City of Ashes
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher:
Margaret K. McElderry Books

Series: The Mortal Instruments (Book #2)
Rating: 5/5 Stars






Synopsis:

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?




My thoughts:



This is one of my own books. I bought this book in the hard cover box set.
I was super excited to continue on with this series as I loved the first book so much.



~Storyline~

The story continues on from the first book City of Bones. Shadowhunters, vampires, demons and romance is involved. It had me gripped throughout.


~Cover~

I really like the cover to this book. It's got a metallic sheen and the girl with fiery hair is standing above the city. It really draws you in.


~Synopsis~ 

After reading the synopsis of the book, I know I'm going to enjoy the next instalment and it sounds really interesting. I wanted to know what was going to happen next with the general storyline, and the bonds between the characters. 


 ~Characters~

Clary - Clary I love as always. She is a strong female character and I love her determination.

Jace - Jace is just sexy and full of sarcasm. He has such swag and I love reading about him.  

Alec - Alec is adorable, especially when hearing about his connection with Magnus Bane!

Isabelle -Isabelle is so kick-ass.

Simon - Simon is so sweet. I love him. And, the shocker in the book about him made my heart pound!

Luke -Luke is an awesome father figure.

Valentine -Valentine is just as much of an ass as he is in the first book. Power is in his eyes.

Magnus Bane -I love Magnus so much. How he protects people and is there even if he says he doesn't want to be.


~Structure~


There is a decent length of chapters. This didn't bother me too much; I didn't notice because I was too into the story that I flew through the pages.  

It's also spilt into parts and told in second person. 


~Writing~

The writing is really gripping and easy to understand. I wasn't confused or lost at any point. It was also very descriptive, so you could picture everything easily. It was beautifully and well written.  


~Title relevance~

The title of the book is relevant as it's mentioned in the book.


~Beginning~

The beginning of the book had me excited because I wanted to know what was going to happen next, and I was hooked as so many complications were mentioned.
 

~Ending~

The ending of the book had me in desperation. I need the sequel now!!
 

~Rating & overall thoughts~

Overall this book was awesome and I gave it five stars. I'm loving this series so much.

~Recommend?~

Absolutely!

Video review:




I hope you have enjoyed reading this review.


Happy reading =)

Goodreads-badge-add-plus
 

No comments:

Post a Comment