Sunday 25 August 2013

Review: Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt


Title: Skin Deep
Author: Laura Jarratt
Publisher:
Electric Monkey
Rating: 5/5 Stars



Synopsis:

Ugly people don't have feelings. They're not like everyone else. They don't notice if you stare at them and turn away. And if they did notice, it wouldn't hurt them. They're not like real people. Or that's what I used to think. Before I learned...

After the car crash that leaves her best friend dead, Jenna is permanently scarred. She struggles to rebuild her life, but every stare in the street, every time she looks in the mirror, makes her want to retreat further from the world. Until she meets Ryan. Ryan's a traveller. When he and his mother moor their narrow boat on the outskirts of a village, she tells him this time it will be different. He doesn't believe her; he can't imagine why this place shouldn't be as unwelcoming as the rest. Until he meets Jenna. But as Jenna and Ryan grow closer, repercussions from the crash continue to reverberate through the community. And then a body is found...
 

(From Goodreads)



My thoughts:

I borrowed a physical copy of this from my local library.
I haven't heard of this book before, so I was intrigued and I picked it up. 
This is the first book I have read from Laura Jarratt.

~Storyline~

The storyline contains romance, bonds, friendships, mystery and murder. It's a very good storyline about a girl who is very insecure, and learns not to care when she meets a boy. It's a different story, and it made me feel sorry for the main character. There's also a mysterious murder, which I wasn't expecting. This story is good because it's something that can unfortunately happen in real life.

~Cover~

Although the cover may come across as a little cheesy, the story really isn't. It's very strong and I believe it's just showing how intimate the two characters are, and it's indicating it's going to be a story that contains romance.

~Synopsis~ 

When reading the synopsis of the book, I felt drawn into the book already. I wanted to know more about the main character, and who this guy was going to be that was going to change Jenna's life.

~Characters~

Jenna - I felt sorry for Jenna. I really warmed to her. She is incredibly insecure, and she doesn't feel comfortable going anywhere. I just wanted her to be happy. 
Ryan - Ryan was an intriguing character. At first I thought he was going to be a bit of a sleaze ball, but he turned out to be quite the gentleman who would do anything for Jenna. 
Carlisle - I really hated Carlisle. I hated him so much that I really wanted to punch him. 
Ryan's mum - Ryan's mum I felt sorry for. She did truly care about Ryan, and if things went pear-shaped, she felt terrible as Ryan ran to get away.  

~Structure~

This story is told from alternate perspectives. I like this because we get to see the thoughts and feelings of both characters. The chapters were also really short, so I felt like I was flying through the book. Short chapters are a good thing as we can also take breaks. 

~Writing~

The writing style was easy enough to understand and was very gripping. 

~Title relevance~ 

The title of this book is very good because it has a hidden meaning. "Skin Deep" meaning beauty is skin deep. I like it when books have a message that comes across.

~Beginning~

The beginning of the book had me hooked. I was really into getting to know the two main characters and their lives. 

~Ending~

The ending was really cute and was the perfect ending to the book.

~Rating & overall thoughts~

In the end I couldn't fault this book, and I gave it five stars. After reading this book, I will definitely look into other books by Laura Jarratt. 

~Recommend?~

I completely recommend if you are into contemporary romances, mysteries and murders. 

Video review:


 

I hope you have enjoyed reading this review.

Happy reading =) 

Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment