Saturday 29 June 2013

Review: Hereafter by Tara Hudson


Title: Hereafter
Author: Tara Hudson
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 4/5 stars



Synopsis:

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no memories of her past life, she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. But everything changes when she tries to rescue a boy from drowning in the river. Because even though she can't do anything to help, Amelia somehow "wills" him to survive. And when he wakes up, Joshua can see her.

Together, Joshua and Amelia begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death, and the secrets of the dark river that has held her captive. But even as they grow ever closer, there are those in both worlds--the living and the dead--determined to tear them apart. . . .

(From Goodreads)




My thoughts:

This was a book that I purchased myself. 
I find this isn't really a book that is hyped up and talked about a lot.
I really enjoyed the writing style to this book. It flowed very clearly, and Tara told the story well.
The storyline in general was a good one. It had a sense of eeriness about it. 
It's written in first person, and the chapters have a decent length.
The main character was an interesting one, because not only did we not know anything about Amelia, neither did she; so that was interesting as we were learning all about her past at the same time that Amelia was.
Joshua I didn't feel much of a connection to. He was just like a normal guy. Although I did feel a friendship bonding between Amelia and Joshua, I didn't really see a romantic spark, even though they admitted to there being one. They haven't known each other that long, so I don't think the romance was necessary.
I actually would've liked to see more of Joshua's sister Jillian. I did like her, but  didn't see enough of her.
Eli is quite a mysterious guy himself, though he does seem really selfish. 
When I was finding more about Amelia's family, I did feel bad for her. It was sad, and finding out how she died was a shocker.
I really love the front cover to this book. It is one of my favourite covers. Even the front cover has a ghostly feel to it.
The beginning of the book had me hooked as I wanted to know more about Amelia and the story within, and the ending of the book was really sweet and cute.
I look forwards to carrying on this series. 
All in all, it was a good read, and in the end I gave it four stars. 

Video review:


 
Happy reading =)

   Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment