Tuesday 31 December 2013

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier [No Spoilers]



Title: Ruby Red
Author:  Kerstin Gier
Series: The Ruby Red Trilogy (#1)
Publisher: Henry Holt
Rating: 5/5 Stars



Goodreads-badge-add-plus





Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

(From Goodreads)

Source: I own a copy of this book.

I have heard some fantastic things about this series in general. In honesty, I don't know why I was holding it off. I LOVE books about time travel.

I will be truthful: I had a little trouble with the writing style of this book. It did seem really old-fashioned. I think this was partly because it has been translated from German. 
And so I gave this book a massive chance...and I'm so glad that I did 'cos it was AWESOME!! =D

A completely different story about a time travel gene, and this book was just full of so much adventure. 

Gwen is an awesome character. She is strong, and humorous at times. She adapts well to being thrown into the "big mess". I liked the story being told from her point of view. 

Gideon is a mysterious, cocky dude that has grown up with time-travelling. His personality is dark at the beginning, but as he grows into having an attraction towards Gwen, he's just...UGH I LOVE HIM!! 

Charlotte is a completely jealous bitch! I'm sorry, I just don't like her. She needs to lighten up!

The chapters also have a nice decent length. 

The cover of the book is frickin' gorgeous! It's one of those books that will look great on your book shelf. It also has a nice feel to it. 

The beginning was great; we are introduced to Gwen and her animated family.    

As the story properly began to kick in, I was in the moment and loved it. 

I actually watched the movie to the book called "Rubinrot". It was a good book-to-movie adaptation, and it just made me love the story more.

The end of this book left me with so many questions:  
  • What will happen next with Gwen & Gideon?
  • What other tasks will Gwen have to come to terms with?
  • Why can Gwen see ghosts?
Hopefully all will be answered in the sequel, which I CAN'T WAIT to read!!

Overall a fantastic start to a new series. Can't wait to see what Kerstin Gier has written in the next instalment! I gave this book five out of five stars. Well worth the read. I completely recommend!
 

I hope you have enjoyed this review.
  
  Happy reading =)  

~Katie~

No comments:

Post a Comment