Wednesday 9 October 2013

Review: Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready



Title: Shade
Author: Jeri Smith-Ready
Publisher:
Simon and Schuster 
Series: Shade (Book#1)
Rating: 4/5 Stars


Synopsis:

 Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.












My thoughts: 

This was chosen by my subscribers on YouTube for me to read for the month of September. 
I hadn't had the book long, so I was excited to read it. 
The Shade series isn't really that hyped on the internet, which is nice, because sometimes when a book is really hyped, it can ruin the story.
This is one of my own physical copies by the way.



~Storyline~

So in general, I liked the story. I haven't read a lot of books with ghosts in, and I like how Aura - the main character - can see them because of something called The Shift. 
It even has some romance in.



~Cover~

I really like the cover to this book. I like how the girl is standing there and wisps of an aura are floating around her in so many colours. It's really pretty as well as spooky.



~Synopsis~ 

The synopsis of this book is really good because it had me interested and I wanted to know more.



~Characters~

Aura is your standard character. She says she loves Logan, but as soon as he dies, she develops feelings for someone else. I didn't feel like I had a big connection to Aura in that I admired her. She was like-able, sure, but wasn't my favourite female lead in this book.
Logan loves Aura and feels guilty for dying. You can see he wants Aura, but because he's dead he doesn't want Aura to hang onto him. 
Zach I loved reading about. He's cute, a great friend, and a fantastic male character. I hope to see more of him in the next book.



~Structure~

The story is written in first person, which I always like in books. The chapters are also short or to a decent length which is another good thing.



~Writing~

I thought the writing was good and easy to understand. The font of the book I had was a little bit small, so it would've been easier to read, but other than that, it was good.



~Title relevance~ 

The relevance of the title to the book comes across nice and clear because Shade is mentioned throughout.



~Beginning~

The beginning of the book was good as we get to meet the characters and witness Logan's death.



~Ending~

The ending was great as now I want to know what's going to happen next.



~Rating & overall thoughts~

So overall for a first book in a series, it was good and I did like it. In the end I gave it four stars. I look forwards to continuing along with this series at some point.



~Recommend?~

Yes I do. If you're into ghosts and romances, then definitely give this a try!



Video review:







I hope you have enjoyed reading this review.



Happy reading =)

Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment