Tuesday 6 August 2013

Review: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda


Title: The Hunt
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Publisher:
Simon & Schuster

Rating: 3/5 Stars 


Synopsis:

 Against all odds, 17-year-old Gene has survived in a world where humans have been eaten to near extinction by the general population. The only remaining humans, or hepers as they are known, are housed in domes on the savannah and studied at the nearby Heper Institute. Every decade there is a government sponsored hunt. When Gene is selected to be one of the combatants he must learn the art of the hunt but also elude his fellow competitors whose suspicions about his true nature are growing.

 (From Goodreads)







My thoughts: 

This is a one of my own physical books that I purchased myself.
I was really excited to read this book, as all over the book were authors saying how much they loved it, so I was thinking: if they liked it, then surely I will.
I found this book incredibly hard to get into.
I really wanted to like this book more, but I just couldn't. 
I think this could mainly be to do with the writing style. It's quite difficult to take in at times.
I was reading this along with others, and found that I wasn't the only one. 
The storyline is really good, and once you do get into it, it's interesting. It's quite serious and some violence is involved.
I had trouble with connecting with the characters though.
None of them stood out for me. They were all average; even the main character Gene. 
I had my suspicions about Ashley June. There seemed to be something different about her, and sometimes it's nice when you're right!
After the first chapter, I was really confused as to what was happening. The first chapter had a lot going on, I was like "Whoah."
My first thoughts were that this book is weird. I wasn't sure what to think about it. 
When hearing about the vampire traits, like the scratching of the wrists and dribbling ... it was weird, at the same time as disgusting. It grossed me out picturing these dribbling vampires (even makes me sick thinking about it now!)
Halfway through the book, the story started to become more clear and I began to like it.
There were some very dark moments of this book.
I had myself asking questions because of how the book ended. It ends with you wanting to know what happened next. What happened to some of the characters? Do they survive?
Because of that, I now want to read the sequel. Hopefully it's better than this book.
I like how romance isn't really involved in this book. 
The cover to this book contains some angry colours. You can see it's going to contain a certain fight because of the people gathered in the letter "T".
I didn't like the fact that the book had incredibly long chapters. I found it hard to take breaks, and sometimes got really put off as I wasn't in the mood for reading a 70 page long chapter. 
Gene tells the story from his point of view, so we get to see what it's like to cloak amongst the vampires.
Overall after having a long hard think, I gave this book three out of five stars. It was an OK read and honestly could have some improvements. 
As I say hopefully the sequel gets better.

Happy reading =)

 Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment