Tuesday 30 July 2013

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


Title: Starcrossed
Author: Josephine Angelini
Publisher: MacMillan
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Times read: 2

Synopsis:

 Destiny brought them together.
The gods will keep them apart.

When shy, awkward Helen Hamilton meets Lucas Delos for the first time, she thinks two things: the first, that he is the most ridiculously beautiful boy she has seen in her life; the second, that she wants to kill him with her bare hands.
An ancient curse means Lucas and Helen are destined to loathe one another. But sometimes love is stronger than hate, and not even the gods themselves can prevent what will happen next...

(From Goodreads)





My thoughts: 

This is a book I purchased myself last year (2012). It's second-hand and well worth every penny. I read it last year, but wanted to re-read it this year so I could officially review it on my blog. 
I loved it both times. 
The writing style of the book had me hooked throughout, even though it is a book with 500+ pages, and normally books to those page amounts scare me, but it didn't faze me at all when reading this. 
The storyline in general is interesting. There aren't a lot of stories about Demi-Gods around at the moment. It's not a subject that's been overly written about. 
The story is written in second person and the chapters are a nice decent length. 
There are a lot of characters involved in this book, but they all have their own individual personality, so it's easy to tell them apart. 
I really liked reading about Lucas and learning more about him.
I enjoyed learning about Helen and Lucas's family along with them. It felt like I was on the journey with them. 
I was interested in hearing about the curse and the furies and why Helen and Lucas felt such hatred towards each other. I wanted to know more, and that's why I carried on reading. 
I could see the relationship between Lucas and Helen was real during the story. 
I truly admired Lucas's Mother Noel and Ariadne I thought was a really cool character.
From the front cover of this version of the book, you can see there is intimacy and electricity between the two. You know it's going to be a romance-involved novel. I really like the front cover.
At the beginning of the book, it had a good opening as we are introduced to Helen and her friend, and the Delos family. 
The end of the book makes me want to carry on with the series and read the sequel. 
Overall I could not fault this book, and gave it five stars.
I definitely recommend this book, especially if you are into books about Gods, history, forbidden love, and if you love the Percy Jackson series.

Video review:


Happy reading =) 

Goodreads-badge-add-plus

2 comments:

  1. I've always been meaning to pick this one up! It sounds fantastic!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete