Monday 15 April 2013

Interview With Jessica Brody!!

Hello guys!! I'm SO excited because Jessica Brody finally got back to me on the interview questions. And now that I have them, I can share them with you!! =D How exciting!! Incase you don't know, Jessica is the author of the amazing book Unremembered



Synopsis:

"Sera" wakes up having no memories. She doesn't remember who she is or who her family is; only that she was a survivor from a plane crash.  But who is this boy that keeps turning up; claiming he knows her, and is also claiming that she is important and people are after her? Trying to figure out who and what she is, Sera embarks upon a journey. But in the end when you don't have your memories, who can you really trust?

To see my review click here.



Let's crack on with the interview!! Here goes...




"Hello Jessica, welcome to my blog. Thank you for agreeing to do this.

Thanks so much for having me! I’m thrilled to be interviewed on your blog!

1: What age did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

In second grade I turned in a four page book report (the assignment was to write one 
paragraph) and the teacher made such a huge deal about it. I really couldn’t understand why. Writing just came naturally to me. At that moment I remember wanting to be a writer. But  somewhere along the way I convinced myself that I needed to get a “serious” job…you  know, one that comes with dental insurance. 
So I majored in Economics in college (very serious!) and went on to be a financial analyst  for MGM Studios. It wasn’t until later that I realized “serious” wasn’t for me. So I quit to pick up where I left off at age seven. 

2: What/who inspired you to become an author?

That second grade teacher certainly had a lot to do with it! LOL. But the person who gave me the final push was Helen Fielding, the author of Bridget Jones’s Diary¸ after I read that  book (or more like devoured that book) I knew I wanted to write books for a living. 

3: Are you very organised when it comes to planning out a story?

I’m pretty organized! I always outline before I start writing. I use a plotting method called  Save the Cat, created by Blake Snyder. It’s amazing! It basically breaks down all stories into  15 beats and then teaches you how to create those 15 beats so that you have a well-crafted,  engaging story that will resonate with readers. I never start writing until all 15 beats are in  place. 

4: Which book took you the longest to write?

Definitely UNREMEMBERED. This is my first attempt at writing sci-fi and so that was a  huge challenge. Also it was my first time setting up an entire series so all of that extra  plotting and planning took more time than my usual contemporary stories. 

Unremembered was a fantastic read; I loved it so much =D

THANKS!!! I love you for saying that! :D

5: What was the hardest part to write in the book?

As you know, the book has a TON of spoilers! It seems like every chapter has a new reveal or clue about the mystery of who Seraphina is. I’m sure as a blogger you run into the same  challenge of telling people about the book (how much do I tell and how much do I let them  figure out for themselves!) This was the biggest challenge for me to. Managing all the  reveals. When to reveal what and when. I probably moved stuff around a zillion times.  And every time you move one reveal, the rest fall like dominos. It was very difficult. 

6: Which character did you love developing the most?

I really loved writing Cody, Seraphina’s 13-year-old foster brother. Since all my other books were contemporary comedies, it was oftentimes a challenge for me to write something  darker and more serious. Cody, however, is the comic relief of the novel. So writing him was like a little link back to my comfort zone. I always felt like I was “home” when I wrote him.  And it gave me the opportunity to make fun of myself a little. While Sera’s storyline is rather dark and mysterious and all these harrowing things are happening around her, Cody can  always be counted on to lighten the mood with a comedic crack on her situation. 

7: How did you come up with the story 'Unremembered'?

A few years ago, I read a newspaper article about a teen girl who was the sole survivor of a  plane crash. I was instantly fascinated by the story. Namely because they had no idea why  she survived when no else did. I started brainstorming reasons as to why she was so lucky. One particular reason (a rather intricate, science-fiction-inspired one) stuck in my mind and refused to leave. It continued to grow and blossom until I had an idea for an entire trilogy. A trilogy that starts with a mysterious plane crash and  a single survivor. 

8: What will we expect from the sequel? 

Ooh! UNFORGOTTEN is going to be so much fun! I just finished writing it and it’s such a  different book from the first! Let’s see what I can tell you without giving away too many  spoilers about the first book! Book 2 begins 6 months after UNREMEMBERED ends. Sera  and Zen have been living in the “secret place” that they go to at the end of book 1 but  they soon discover that this “place” isn’t as welcoming as they thought it would be. And the  people who are looking for Seraphina have created a new, unique weapon. One that  she will have a very hard time fighting against.
Phew! That was hard!

Finally, some fun questions.

9: If you could have dinner with one person dead or alive, who would that be and why?

Marie Antoinette! That girl really knew how to throw a party!

10: If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?

The Long Way Around (It’s a song by the Dixie Chicks and it fits my life perfectly! I’ve never taken the easy/short route to anything. I love challenges!)

11:  What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I watch an embarrassing amount of television. 

12: Finally, is there a memory you wish you could "Unremember"?  

Yes! The memory of this perm! (This was my eighth grade school picture!)


And that's that!! Thanks again to Jessica Brody for agreeing to do this interview. Unremembered is amazing, you should definitely go read it guys. I hope you have enjoyed this interview. Happy reading!! =)



 

 The Book Depository

 Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment