Thursday 21 March 2013

Interview with Kasie West!!

Hello guys & welcome to an awesome interview with the author Kasie West. Kasie is the author of the newly-released 'Pivot Point', which came out this year. 



Synopsis:

Going to a school where super powers are involved may seem like the coolest thing ever, however Addie's ability puts her in a difficult situation. Her parents are divorcing, and as she can see the future when it comes to seeing the choices that are involved, she uses that to help her to decide who she should live with. Does she stay with her Mum, go to the same school with her friends and the cute quarterback? Or does she move in with her Dad, start fresh at a normal school with people that don't have abilities and make friends with the mysterious hot guy? Which future will be Addie's best choice? 


For my review, click here








Interview time!!

First of all, thank you for agreeing to do this interview. 

No problem, thanks for having me!


1: What was your first job before you decided to become an author?

When I was really young, like 13 and 14, I used to babysit for the neighbor kids. But my first job where I earned an actual paycheck (and learned the government takes some of your money) was when I was sixteen. I worked at a local water park and got a killer farmer's tan. 

2: What/who inspired you to become an author?

My love of stories/reading. I've always been an avid reader from the time I was little. 

3: Are you very organised when it comes to planning out a story?

No, I am not an outliner. I usually know the beginning, the climax, and the end. But I'm a fast first drafter. So my first draft becomes my outline and editing is where I make it a working book. My first drafts are pretty skeletal and need rearranging most of the time.

4: What's a typical working day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you set a daily writing goal?

I do not have a typical work day. I'm the mother of four (so I also answer to 'hey you' and 'feed me') and therefore have to write when I can around kid responsibilities (which are mainly taxi driving, cooking, and laundering). So I usually write at night when they're asleep. Or during the day in between duties. And as far as a daily writing goals, if I'm on a deadline, I make goals. Otherwise, I write when I can. And sometimes the story is pulling me along and I can write 5K in a day and sometimes I am pulling it along and can only write 200 words. I like the first scenario better.....obviously. 

Pivot Point was an amazing book!!

5: How did you come up with the story "Pivot Point"?

Pivot Point was inspired by the movie Sliding Doors. I love that movie. I love the idea of alternate realities and how choice plays such a big role in our lives. 

6: What was your favourite part/character to write about in the book?

The easiest characters to write were Laila and Duke. They just jumped off the page for me. They were both very loud characters who I knew almost the moment they started speaking.

7: Did you have the ending already planned out from the beginning, or did it just happen?

Yes, I knew the end of the book before I started writing it. So, yeah....I can't say much more than that without giving things away. :)

8: What will we be expecting from the sequel?

More. Ha. No, just kidding. The sequel, although still focused on Addie's life, will highlight some of the other abilities found in the Compound. There are a few new characters introduced. And of course, we'll see more of the same characters from Pivot Point. I love the sequel and I hope you all will love it too.

Finally, some fun questions =D

9: If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?

Title: Mo-om what's for dinner?? Subtitle: And other questions I never know the answers to

10: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
 
Read! :) Also: chick flicks, wake boarding, eating, and napping.

11: If you could have a super power/ability, what would it be and why?

I get this question a lot (understandably) and my answer always changes depending on the week and my needs. This week I'd love to be able to slow down time because I have soo much to do and not enough time to do it. :) 

12: Is there one time in your life where you wish you chose a different path for a different outcome? If so, why?

You know, I'm pretty happy with where I am in my life. But looking back, if there were things I wished I would have done differently they all happened in high school where I had a debilitating fear of failure. It kept me from doing things I really wanted to do. I was in drama but was too scared to try out for any of the big plays for fear that I might not "make the cut". I would do all sorts of smaller scenes and performances in class, but when it came to standing up and being judged by a panel, I couldn't do it. So you can see why I chose to be a writer because there is no rejection or judgement in this field at.......wait.......


 So that's it with the interview. Thanks again to Kasie for agreeing to do this. I hope you have all enjoyed it. 

You can purchase 'Pivot' Point' now:




                                 The Book Depository

 Goodreads-badge-add-plus                          

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I love the book about life including/especially the subtitle. I can so relate! And Sliding Doors! Woot! I wondered if there was some influence there, although I think you took it to another level with the school/compound for special kids. Very intriguing. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the interview =)

    ReplyDelete