Monday 21 January 2013

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion



http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323400027l/7619057.jpgTitle: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Publisher: Vintage
Rating: 5/5 stars


Synopsis:  
R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse. Just dreams. 
After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a burst of vibrant color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that R lives in. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world. 
Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead and the blurry line in between.

(From Goodreads) 
 "Unable to believe what's happening, I put my arms around her and just hold her. I almost swear I can hear my heart thumping. But it must just be hers, pressed tight against my chest"

My thoughts:

I received the e-book to review from NetGalley. I also have my own physical copy that I purchased from Amazon. I have heard so much about the book, and the fact that it's been turned into a movie that I had to get my hands on a copy.
I haven't read anything by this author before, so I had no clue what his writing style was like. I'm glad I took the plunge because it was an amazing read.
The story is written from "R's" perspective, which I think is really interesting. To have a zombie telling the story is going on a completely different angle, and it worked well. 
I adored "R". He really told the story well. The descriptions of certain things were occasionally quirky, fun and made you giggle. I enjoyed following his story, and I really felt for him and could understand his own personal feelings. Julie I really liked too. She was a strong independent woman who had a lot of spunk, and it was great to see her feelings come across too. "R's" friend "M" and Julie's friend Nora are another couple of like-able characters; always sticking up for their friends. Perry, who you learn about, seems like a right idiot, but he soon grows on you. Finally, you have "The Boneys" which are the dead of the dead. Literally. 
I thought the storyline was fantastic and well thought out. I was following the book entirely from the start to finish and couldn't put it down.
The quote from above was definitely my favourite from the book. I found it really sweet and adorable.
I love the whole general structure to the book. The chapters aren't too long, which is nice. The book is split into three parts: wanting, talking and living. These three parts contain the contents of what they are basically about, which you will learn when you read it. I find the pictures at the beginning of every chapter are interesting, nice to look at and certainly spark the book up. 
The cover of the edition I have is a simple one. A straightforward white background, with a picture of some blood vessels sprouting like a tree around the words "Warm Bodies". It looks unique.
Overall, I'm going to give this book five stars because I absolutely loved the storyline and writing style. The characters were described fantastically, and my heart was in the book completely. I know I will read this book again one day. 
If you are interested in stories with zombies, romance and action, then I suggest you pick this up. It is a fantastic read.

Happy reading =)

Goodreads-badge-add-plus


1 comment:

  1. I read this one...there were a lot of awesome quotes in it. My favourite was "The moment the lights went out, everyone stopped pretending."

    ReplyDelete