Thursday 20 June 2013

Review: The Archived by Victoria Schwab


Title: The Archived
Author: Victoria Schwab
Publisher: Hyperion
Rating: 4/5 stars

Synopsis:

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often—violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn’t just dangerous—it’s a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da’s death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hard-won redemption.
 

(From Goodreads)



My thoughts:

This was a physical book that I purchased myself.
All I had heard about this book was amazing things; especially in the BookTube community on YouTube. Everyone was hauling it, all the reviews are on a high, and I just said too myself "You know what? I'm going to buy it to see what all the fuss is about". 
I can honestly understand what everyone was on about. 
It was written so beautifully, and the storyline was incredible that I thoroughly enjoyed it. 
The only criticism I would have to this book is it's not a writing style I'm used to, so I found I had to really focus on the story to understand everything that was going on. But when I was focusing, man was it good!
It's a completely different storyline on a whole, and it was certainly an interesting one.
The main character is incredibly like-able, and they come across very strong. 
I really liked the character Wesley. He was interesting, and I loved reading about him.
The story is written in first person, and the chapters are a decent length.
I really adored the ending. I thought it was sweet and left me full of hope. I can't wait to read the next book.
There was a lot of information to take in with this novel; especially at the beginning. I like the function of names being scratched onto a list. That was a very interesting concept. 
I really like the front cover with the face, the smoke and the key. It sort of reflects the story.
Overall I gave this book four out of five stars as I really did enjoy the book. I definitely recommend this to all.   

Video review:


Happy reading =) 

Goodreads-badge-add-plus 

No comments:

Post a Comment