Wednesday 1 May 2013

Review: The Host by Stephanie Meyer


Title: The Host
Author: Stephanie Meyer
Publisher: Sphere
Rating: 5/5 Stars


Synopsis:

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man 

Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring what may be the first love triangle involving only two bodies, The Host is a riveting and unforgettable novel that will bring a vast new readership to one of the most compelling writers of our time.

(From Goodreads)



My thoughts:

I can't believe I've had this book ever since it come out, and I haven't read it until now. What an idiot I am. 
This book was just simply amazing. 
The story is told from Wanderer's point of view. Wanderer is an alien soul, so it's really interesting to see it from an outcast's perspective when she enters the human territory. 
The chapters are a decent size; not too long nor too short. 
The first two hundred pages I felt were a bit slow; but I think that was because I was being introduced to a lot of new information and characters at once. After that, I understood what was going on, and it just got better and better. 
There are several characters in this book. Wander/Melanie share a body. There are two different souls, with two different personalities, but both characters I loved. Wanderer just has the purest soul ever, whereas Melanie is feisty. 
Jared is Melanie's love. He is a nice guy underneath. Jeb is seriously the best uncle EVER! He just took Wanderer under his wing straight away and trusted her when nobody else did. I absolutely fell in love with Ian. I think the bond between Ian and Wanderer was the best bond I have ever read about between two people; how it started and blossomed between them was amazing. 
I think the storyline in general was a good one. Souls called "Seekers" could take over human bodies and control them. I thought that was an interesting aspect. 
I honestly thought the connection between Wander and Melanie was out of this world. Just how they end up trusting each other and feeling more like 'sisters' was fantastic. 
I found the stories that Wanda told the others of her past lives and all of the planets, etc, was interesting and kept me hooked. 
I think the message that comes across is don't judge people for who they are. Inside they can be different and surprise you. 
This book has definitely become a favourite of mine.  
Normally I don't get along with big books, but this one has become and exception.
The cover may seem a bit scary with the close-up shot of the eye, but I like it because it's showing what seeker eyes look like. 
I know there is a sequel being planned, and I honestly can't wait to read it. 
If you haven't read this book already, then why haven't you? Go read it now! 
Overall I give this book a well-deserved five out of five stars. Although the start was a little slow, as soon as things became clear, I understood all of it and disregarded the beginning. All the characters were believable, and I completely emoted towards the book. I definitely recommend. 


Video review:
 


Happy reading =)


Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment